All objects within ManagementStudio may require additional information capturing that might help with planning or undertaking the migration. For example, a mobile phone migration might require that a user records their manufacturer preference or accessories that are required. The Discovery tab within each module in ManagementStudio allows the administrator to create custom data fields to capture this information.
The example that follows will use the Applications module to illustrate the concept although this approach applies to all modules within ManagementStudio.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Accessing the Discovery Tab
- The Discovery Tab Layout
- Creating New Tab List Items
- Further Support
Accessing the Discovery Tab
To view the Discovery tab:
- Choose the relevant module from the vertical menu bar on the left (1), in this example, Applications, and double click an item from the main grid (2) to open the details panel.
- Click the Discovery tab (1).
The Discovery Tab Layout
Although the options will vary between modules, the layout consists of three core areas:
- The Control Bar across the top allows users to save changes and reload information.
- The Tab List on the left enables administrators to group questions of a similar nature or subject matter to simplify the presentation.
- When an item is selected from the Tab List (2), the Survey Area (3) will update to display the relevant question group.
The functionality provided by the Control Bar (#1, above) is also available by keyboard shortcuts:
- Save Changes: CTRL+S
- Reload: CTRL+R
Creating New Tab List Items
Tab List entries (identified by annotation 2 in the image above) are defined in the Administration section of the parent module:
- Switch to Administration and select the appropriate module, for example, Applications.
- Scroll down to the Custom Forms section and click Discovery to open the Discovery management screen.
- Click the New Tab button (1) in the toolbar
- Enter a name (2) for the New Custom Form Tab - in this example, the new tab will be called Licensing
- Click OK (3) to create the new tab.
- Click Save Changes to save the new tab.
For further information about the Discovery toolbars, tabs and grids, please refer to:
Adding New Fields
By default, new tabs are created with a text field. To create a new field:
- Switch to the tab that requires additional fields. In this example, Licensing is used.
- Click the New Field button to create a new text field.
- ManagementStudio will create a new text field created (2).
- Populate each field (more below) and repeat the first step as required.
- Click the Save Changes button when finished to save the settings.
Further information about the column settings used in the Discovery Form can be found at:
If you require further support, please visit ManagementStudio's Service Desk to search the knowledge base or create a new support ticket.