TABLE OF CONTENTS
A defect is an error in coding or logic that causes a program to malfunction or to produce incorrect/unexpected results. The defects module provides the ability to log issues against an object within ManagementStudio, a defect can be recorded against an Application, User Migration, device, project and a deployment Unit etc . This functionality also gives you the ability to view all defects recorded within a project.
To view the Defects:
- Click on the 'Defects' (1) menu from the left hand pane and select one of the following:
- 'My Defects' (2) to display all defects that are assigned to you or
- 'All Defects'(3) to view all the defects within your project
The Defects Layout
The Defects module follows the same Common Grid Layout format as the Applications, Users, Deployment Units, Devices and Bespoke modules. A description of the Common Grid Functionality can be found in this article.
- Defect Grid Config
- Defectid - A unique identifier recorded against each defects
- Severity - Severity of the defect
- Short Description – A brief description of the defect
- Business Impact – The impact of the defect to the organisation
- Process – Process of the defect which could be open, pending or closed
- Sub Process - Sub-process of the defect
- Module – Specific module of the product where the defect was detected
- Parent Id
- Description – Detailed description of the defect. Describe as much as possible but without repeating anything or using complex words
- Process Status – The status of the defect
- Priority – Priority of the Defect
- Next Action Due – The date when the next action is due
- Created By – The name of the person who created the defect
- Delegate 2 – The name of the person that is delegated to analyze/fix the defect
- Archived - This denotes, if the defect is either archived or un-archived
- Locked - This denotes, if the defect is either locked or un-locked
Additional custom fields can be enabled within the Admin section. Administration->Defects->Grid Config
Creating a New Defect
Any defects created within the defects module will be recorded as a projects defect. A defect against any of the modules needs to be created from the module itself. E.g. A device defect needs to be recorded from the device module.
- Click the New button in the Toolbar at the top of the screen
- Fill in the Short Description and Business Impact
- Choose the Process and Sub Process that the defect will be assigned to. The default will already be selected
- Click New
The Context Menu (Right Click on the Grid) provides multi select functionality to the grid. It is possible to select one item using the left click of the mouse, or multiple items using a combination of ctrl or shift and left click. Once selected Right Click the mouse for the Context Menu.
- Open Details: show the details tab for one or many items. It is possible to open in a new Tab or new Window.
- New Note: Add Note information to one or many Defects. These notes are displayed in the Details Tab
- New Task: Create a New Task for the Defect. Tasks will appear in the Task Tab as well as the Tasks Module
- Move to Process: Change the Process and Sub Process of one or many Defects
- Teams: Assign team members to Defects. This could be engineers, delegates etc
- Update Fields: Bulk update Text, Dropdown and Date fields from the Details Tab
- Update Custom Form: Bulk update Custom Form information for multiple Defects
- Copy: Bulk copy one or many fields. See below
- Lock: Lock and Unlock Defects. Locking will stop any changes and updates to the record
- Archive: Place Defects into an Archived state. These Defects will only be visible using the Segments\Other Filters\Archived view from the Ribbon
- Delete: Mark Defects for permanent deletion. These Defects will be deleted after a set period of time. Until permanent deletion they can be viewed using the Segments\Other Filters\Deleted view and can then be Undeleted using the context menu
How to bulk copy field information from the Grid
It is possible to copy multiple key information for multiple defects on the grid by utilising the right click context menu.
- Select one or more defects on the grid, right click and select Copy
- Select the fields (1)to be copied from the advanced copy menu
Note: The Copy button has three additional choices:
-Copy No Header
-Copy Comma Delimited
-Copy Space Delimited
- Save Changes: CTRL+S
- Reload: CTRL+R
If you require further support, please visit ManagementStudio's Service Desk to search the knowledge base or create a new support ticket.